Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Project Sketch: Subject Area Resource and Collaborative Space

Given my position as ES Curriculum Coordinator, I want my project to be something that is useful to myself and the teachers whom I support. Therefore, I propose the following:

What? Subject Area Resource and Collaborative Space
This would include, as a start, the following:
1. PreK-12 Area philosophy, common agreements (temporary fixed position), common assessments
2. PreK-5 curriculum maps per area (for new teachers and for everyone to see the scope and sequence)
3. units of study (collaboratively updated--a click from the curriculum map)
4. collaborative collection of related resources (i.e. video clips of components of the reading workshop)
5. Area for collaborative reflection and discussion

Where? Either an add on to the ISB ES Wiki or Panthernet or BOTH (I'm talking with a number of teachers about which would be the best route to take. It will probably begin one way and then evolve based on use.)

Why? We want a centrally local, web-based resource that gives the "big picture" of each of the subject areas and encourages collaboration, both horizontally and vertically throughout the school

ISTE Standards

Given I work with teachers, the NETS Standards and Performance Indicators would be for Teachers rather than for students. From what I'm thinking, the NETS•T addressed would be:

Model Digital-Age Work and Learning: Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society.
Teachers:
a. demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations
b. collaborate with peers using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation
d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging ditial tools to locate, analyze, evaluate and use information resources to support research and learning

Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership: Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources.
Teachers:
c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning
d. contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession and of their school and community

1 comment:

  1. I don't even think I can express just how useful and powerful this will be for our teachers. I've been thinking that we need a collaborative space (like a wiki) to share these kinds of regularly-used documents since I arrived, but I haven't had the time to make it happen yet. I would love to help you work on this (if you would like me to) because I think it's so sorely needed. The whole division is going to benefit!

    ReplyDelete